Sunday, March 2, 2008

Orientation Week

The Orientation Week that never was. At least, that was how the week went by for me personally. Orientation week stretched from the 18th till the 24th of February. I did jump into some activities, not without some reservations and less-than-applaudable enthusiasm. Instead, I opted to spend the week with a bunch of people who consisted mostly of Singaporeans. I tell you, they are damn kiasu people ah! Just joking la... If anything, my brief stint in INTEC (my college) back in 2007 affirmed my belief that Malaysians have no claim to a higher moral plane when it comes to kiasuism.

Australian Flag at Parliament


Ursula residents (or known affectionately as Ursies) posing at Parliament
First Years' Dinner
Coffee Crawl
(L->R) John, Zoe, Me, Kailin

I went up a hill next to the campus called Black Mountain with my friends. The route uphill was rather steep at several points but it was healthy fun nevertheless.
Base of Black Mountain
(L->R) Me, Melvin, Natalie, Trina, Christina, Alvin, James
At the summit of Black Mountain in Telstra Tower
Trip completed! Dead tired but no regrets.

Military-themed party(?)
(L->R) Alvin, Me, James, Melvin

So that's how Orientation Week passed. I enjoyed every moment of it even though many of our activities were spontaneously devised to substitute the official Ursula Hall (my residential college) O-week programme. While I do not suppose that the official programme was inadequate, but rather I would not have felt comfortable participating in typical orientation week activities. I guess deep inside I still am the same boring and mildly anti-social individual. Haha...

I also passed time by going down town into the city of Canberra to shop, watching movies and playing computer games via LAN. I'm thankful for the great bunch of friends I met here in Ursula Hall. Think about it, having friends is possibly the best ward against homesickness and a whole range of other problems. All in all, orientation week proved to be a great week! Next, onto the lectures... sigh.

0 comments: